Open PopupMenu buries events on other actors

When a PopupMenu in gnome is open, the only events that seem to make it
through are to the popupmenu and it's source actor.  Other actors never
receive their events. I understand overriding the click handler globally
to close the popupmenu, but I would still like to be able to handle
onEnter or hover for other actors on the panel while the PopupMenu is
still open.

Can someone point me at where this event capturing is occurring so I can
attempt to override it? I can't seem to find it in the gnome shell JS
(though maybe I am just missing it).

Thanks for any help!