Re: My gripes with Gnome Shell

Also, for email, the accounts can be setup in the control panel as
an online account. If an account is setup through there, then it
would certainly be nice to have GOA or something trigger
notifications for these accounts if an app is not open.

Does that not happen?  I am fairly certain that calendar & task data
for GOA accounts is actually serviced by an Evolution process.  What
other data would drive notification?

You also don't get it and answer to the problem very, very partially.
The need is more global, what about other applications ?

That is the question "what about them?";  that's what I don't get.

Your replies seem to confirm that you don't understand or care about
some use cases.
Again, Gnome plays nice if you use Gmail, supported cloud services
and most of your apps are web-based, so that most of the time you
have only a browser and maybe a terminal open.

Sorry, this mistake of assumption is on you.  I have half a dozen
applications open in multiple workspaces across multiple monitors - all
day.  And I don't use Gmail.

I gave several applications other than an e-mail client as examples.
What will you do for them ?

The question is - what do you want done with applications in the
background?  They are in the background;  there is zero reason for me
to care about them until (a) I need them or (b) they need me.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam whitemice org> GPG D95ED383