Re: My gripes with Gnome Shell

On Tue, 2016-09-27 at 09:42 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Tue, 2016-09-27 at 14:31 +0200, Jan Niklas Hasse wrote:
On Tue, 27 Sep 2016, at 13:44, 0x90 wrote:
See this thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gnome/comments/53d5kz/need_dev_info_abou
t_
legacy_traytopicons_plus_in/
To achieve this goal, all apps need to be redesigned.
After reading the thread I still don't know what the replacement
is.
Just remove the tray icon? And run in the background without
illustrating that to the user?
I don't know - this seems reasonable to me.  If an application has a
service component... just provide the service.  As a user why do I
care? There is no need for me to see something unless something
happens.

Also, for email, the accounts can be setup in the control panel as an
online account. If an account is setup through there, then it would
certainly be nice to have GOA or something trigger notifications for
these accounts if an app is not open.

This would be similar to what the Ubuntu phone does with UOA, though
this is more born out of the lifecycle requirement, that apps aren't
allowed to run in the background.