Re: Improvements to new system tray panel

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 5:27 AM, Bastián Díaz
<diaz bastian openmailbox org> wrote:
I have other notions from the user's perspective that could be useful

I'm not sure I understand the suggestions, so please correct me if I
got it wrong.

1. Show tray icon when an application is notified.

Are you referring to applications that always show a status icons and
change the icon to notify the user about some event? (For instance a
chat program  that uses the minimize-to-tray pattern and indicates new
messages in the icon).
In that case yes, it would make sense to temporarily show the tray as
we do when an icon is added to the tray. The problem is that tray
icons are completely under application control (they are really just
tiny application windows), so we simply don't know that the icon has
changed.

2. Show contextual information status icon a popover-style design. in the
window title/header bar by default.

I'm really not sure what the suggestion is, but:
 - headerbars are part of the application, we can't change them from gnome-shell
 - putting status icons in a popover will prevent them from opening a menu