Re: Relationship of gnome-shell and mutter

Hi Simon,

Then it is weird to me, when I click on the activities button, new created window which shows all applications logos
displays good.

But when I open any applications like (Calculator), newly created window only shows garbage.

I tried to dump the window pixmap buffer(Calculator application), it renders correctly. If I use this buffer
in swap function as the source(backleft buffe), then Calculator displays good.

I thought that the window manager is missing or not compositing correctly, but if the composite job is
in hand of gnome-shell, seems to me that gnome-shell is not working properly to do the composite.

Do you have hint to solve this problem ?

Best Regards

Kevin

On Friday, February 13, 2015 5:47 PM, Simon McVittie <simon mcvittie collabora co uk> wrote:

On 13/02/15 04:29, Kevin Master wrote:
>  * Should mutter also start to support gnome-shell working ?

No. The /usr/bin/gnome-shell executable loads libmutter.so.0 as a shared
library, just like /usr/bin/mutter does. You should not (and cannot) run
the gnome-shell and mutter executables in the same X session - only one
of them at a time can be your window manager.

>  * Where the composite happens, in gnome-shell process or in mutter
>    process ?

The gnome-shell process does the window management and compositing,
using code from libmutter.so.0.