Re: Gnome Design wishlist

On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 1:08 PM, Donato Marrazzo
<donato marrazzo gmail com> wrote:
Hello, I was back gnome after installing F21. I want to give it another
chance.
I like gnome because it's innovative, but there are some things that I found
pesky:

Top Bar: unfortunately somebody decided that 16/9 screen are good not just
for TV but even for PC and Tablets (very very bad idea). What do you think
to save vertical space using a side bar?

Or make it movable so it doesn't mess up the few 4:3 or 3:2 screens on
the market

Window Title bars when maximized: for the same reason, please save space!
Make it thinner as possible!

If you look at the latest GNOME window title bars are getting a bit of
an Android action bar treatment.  The most important/applicable
actions are put up top.  Right now it is pretty awful, inconsistent,
suffers from useless options being there 90%, and needs some UX love
(see https://plus.google.com/103442292643366117394/posts/3FQ2aABpy5q).
However I can see this being really powerful in the future especially
if someone Patricks the Android Action Bar guidelines and robustness.

Application Menu: this is the worst gnome design idea (my opinion)! Like OSX
you have to search far from your application window! Why? What is the logic?
Why should I found some options in the title bar and others in the
application menu?

+1 I think the application menu in the top bar is a terrible design
and should just go (from the standpoint of someone with two monitors
and sloppy focus turned on).  A standard application menu in the
window is a better idea as long as people think about layout and
organization.

Please, don't answer "look that extension...": extensions are nice when they
work, but we need a core design adjustment.

There are limits to extensions and they break between releases.  It
would be nice if there were more effort put into automated regression
testing of extensions so breaks can be communicated easily to
extension maintainers who may be camping a LTS.

Cheers, Donato

Happy Christmas :-)