Re: Gnome Design wishlist

On Sat, 2014-12-20 at 23:01 +0100, Cedric Sodhi wrote:
I think the idea with the application menu is that applications should
use it (through G(tk)Application) but most don't (yet). GApplication is
actually a fine thing in my opinion because it standardizes how Gnome
applications work and provides an abstract interface.

+1

 If applications,
however, choose not to use GApplication but instead "do their own thing"
(as in embed a menu in their very window) that's just the application's
choice.

Which is no different than any other platform that is not completely
controlled by a central source.  There are no shortage of Windows or
Android apps with 'unique' user interfaces.  Microsoft's Windows Media
Player has successively broken every one of their UI
principles/guidelines for a decade running.

I'm not clear on what qualifies that Gnome Application menu you're
talking about I assume it should contain the kind of "application-wide"
operations.

Yes, and that is how it is described in the documentation I have seen.

The only thing in your criticism I do partially agree with is that it's
kind of weird to have it both "hidden" & detached from the actual window

Agree,

When you get used to it, though (and put the fact that it's currently
handled inconsistently by many applications aside - which is not
"Gnome's fault"), it's not such a bad thing.

And, meh, it rarely effects actual usage much.  Other than "join room"
for epiphany I almost never find myself going there for anything.

In my opinion the concept of "windows" is an outdated one anyway. Gnome
is still using a stacking WM, so the windows do stay,

Leave my windows alone! :)  I use multiple apps simultaneously to
perform complex tasks.  I want things where I put them, simple.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam whitemice org> GPG D95ED383