Re: Gnome Design wishlist

I think the idea with the application menu is that applications should
use it (through G(tk)Application) but most don't (yet). GApplication is
actually a fine thing in my opinion because it standardizes how Gnome
applications work and provides an abstract interface. If applications,
however, choose not to use GApplication but instead "do their own thing"
(as in embed a menu in their very window) that's just the application's
choice.

I'm not clear on what qualifies that Gnome Application menu you're
talking about I assume it should contain the kind of "application-wide"
operations.

The only thing in your criticism I do partially agree with is that it's
kind of weird to have it both "hidden" & detached from the actual window
(well, that's actually 2, I guess). The "hidden" is kind of subjective,
though, since it's really just not saying "Menu", but is visible as
such.

When you get used to it, though (and put the fact that it's currently
handled inconsistently by many applications aside - which is not
"Gnome's fault"), it's not such a bad thing.

In my opinion the concept of "windows" is an outdated one anyway. Gnome
is still using a stacking WM, so the windows do stay, however assuming
that exactly one application has focus at a time is reasonable I think.
It only may become confusing if you have, say, multiple windows
side-by-side in order to see both of them at the same time. However (and
that's my personal opinion completely) I'd seek the solution to this
dilemma in demolishing the concept of "multiple windows" rather than
introducing "multiple menus which are visible at the same time".