RE: No application or applet icons in gmome-shell-3.10.3

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 3:44 PM, John Frankish <j-frankish slb com> wrote:
gnome-settings-daemon is running - it seems to be started automatically
by both gnome-shell and gnome-session...

I don't see where gnome-shell would do that, either explicitly or via DBus-
activation. gnome-session on the other hand does start gnome-settings-
daemon, as it should be listed as RequiredComponent in
$prefix/share/gnome-session/sessions/gnome.session.

Sorry, I stand corrected - gnome-session starts the settings daemon, but gnome-shell does not.

If I explicitly start the settings daemon before gnome-shell, then the results seem to be the same.

I'd like to avoid using consolekit if possible, but gnome-session seems to require it - is there a way around
this?