Re: No application or applet icons in gmome-shell-3.10.3

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 2:05 AM, John Frankish <j-frankish slb com> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 1:02 AM, John Frankish <j-frankish slb com> wrote:

> > It might make it easier to troubleshoot if somebody could help me out with the following:
> >
> > 1. What application/script/etc does gnome-shell use to search for available applications?
> >
> > 2. What determines where gnome-shell searches for available applications?
> >
> > 3. What does gnome-shell search for - *desktop files, cache file from update-desktop-database, or?
> >
> In GNOME 3.10 and below, gnome-shell uses libgnome-menu to search for applications. Make sure your gnome-menus components is properly installed and updated, and you have menus in /etc/xdg/menus/.
> Additionally, make sure that your $XDG_MENU_PREFIX is set to "gnome-", since that's the name of the menu files that gnome-menus installs. This should be set by gnome-session on startup.

Thanks - that fixed it :)

$XDG_MENU_PREFIX was not set (why wouldn't gnome-menus/gnome-shell assume "gnome-" as default until told otherwise?)

Because the spec says that it should assume the empty string if not set. Again, this set very explicitly by gnome-session:

https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-session/tree/gnome-session/main.c#n393

so I'm not sure why it's not working.

I compiled everything to /usr/local so gnome-menus' menu file is in /usr/local/etc/xdg/menus - however, it must be hardcoded somewhere because when I symlinked /etc/xdg -> /usr/local/etc/xdg everything started to work as expected.

As per dconf-editor, org.gnome.shell.app-folder-categories has only ['Utilities', 'Sundry'] as default. Where can I edit this to something more sensible without needing to use dconf-editor/gsettings?

Thanks again
John

--
  Jasper