Re: Are indicator-* packaged in Ubuntu necessary/useful for GS to work?

I believe there can be some support had for indicators:
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/03/appindicator-support-for-gnome-shell.html

On 03/28/2013 01:35 PM, Gabriel Rossetti wrote:
On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Florian Müllner <fmuellner gnome org> wrote:

On Mar 28, 2013 6:14 PM, "Gabriel Rossetti" <rossetti gabriel gmail com> wrote:
> Thanks Florian,
>
> I was worried because I read this:
>
>> indicator-* — The Classic GNOME Desktop will break — the indicator applets on the top right-hand-side will be removed, but clicking on the locations they should have been will cause your session to crash.

They are referring to the old fallback mode (which they called classic), which was patched to use indicators instead of status icons. Fallback mode is fine for good in 3.8, and the new classic mode we ship is entirely based on gnome-shell.

Cheers,
Florian

Great to hear Florian, thank you for the info!

Cheers and thanks for the good work,
Gabriel