Are indicator-* packaged in Ubuntu necessary/useful for GS to work?

Hi all,

I just installed Ubuntu 12.10 on a new machine and I am removing all the unity packages I can find. I noticed that there are a bunch of indicator-* packages around (indicator-application, indicator-power, indicator-datetime, etc), what do these do? I couldn't find any info on them indicating they were useful/needed or not for GS. I figured out that indicator-appmenu is not needed as it is Unity specific, what about the others?

Thanks!
Gabriel