Re: Heads up

To my knowledge none of the  implementation (like
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Unity/HUD#Architecture ) has started.

There are currently no plans for this (or at least none that I'm aware of).

I've been trying to make a start on this, but I've reached a bit of an
impasse. My understanding of it is that there are modules/plugins for
GTK/GTK3/Qt/XUL applications to load; these plugins exports the
applications' menus to some central services run under Unity. There's
a DBus service for searching these menus that their HUD UI hooks into.

A GNOME Shell extension should be able to access this DBus service and
take advantage of it too, and that's what I've been working on.

The problem is that while these DBus services work under Unity, they
return no results under GNOME. No-one so far has been able to tell me
how to get the HUD DBus service working under GNOME, what services
need to be launched, when they need to be launched, etc.

You can see the specifics in this Stackoverflow question:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15328506/how-can-i-get-results-from-the-hud-dbus-service-under-gnome

...and these ubuntu-devel threads:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2013-February/036505.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2013-March/036754.html

Once I figure out how to get these DBus services to work under GNOME,
I can wrap it up in some basic Shell extension code and publish
something.

Cheers,
Jason