Re: Turning off the screen shield in gnome-shell 3.8

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 7:55 PM, Reuben Thomas <rrt sc3d org> wrote:
That turns the lock off. I want to turn the screen shield off.

The screen shield *is* the lock, so you can't really turn it off while
keeping the lock. I'm unsure about your exact motivation, but maybe it
is worth pointing out that in GNOME 3.8 you don't have to perform any
extra steps to lift the shield (e.g. just start to type your password,
like you could do in the 2.x days)?

I tried another hack, namely to comment out some of the lines in the
_activate method in screenShield.js, but that just left me with an
unlockable shield.

Maybe removing

  this._lockScreenGroup.show();

in _resetLockScreen() is what you want? It doesn't actually remove the
shield, but hide all "shieldy" UI ...