Turning off the screen shield in gnome-shell 3.8

I would like to disable the screen shield in GNOME 3.8; I don't want to discuss the pros and cons of it as an idea here; suffice to say that I find it an irritation.

So, I first thought to write a shell extension, but I can't find any way to get at the relevant objects. After a couple of hours studying the source, it seems to me that everything's locked up inside the ScreenShield object.

As a quick hack, I tried simply stopping the screen shield from being patched into the desktop, by commenting out the last line of screenShield.js:

Signals.addSignalMethods(ScreenShield.prototype);

but this prevented gdm from starting properly. In any case, I would rather not have to patch gnome-shell itself.

Can anyone give me a hint on how I might write a shell extension to disable the shield?

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org