Re: Why modal dialogs are not movable?

----- Original Message -----

From: Sam Bull <sam hacking sent com>
To: Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com>
Cc: Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika yahoo com>; "gnome-shell-list gnome org" <gnome-shell-list gnome org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 9, 2013 3:38 PM
Subject: Re: Why modal dialogs are not movable?

On Thu, 2013-04-04 at 18:51 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
 it also makes sense from a visual perspective: a modal dialog is
 blocking the window to which it's attached, so it should be visually
 connected to the window that spawned it.

Just been catching up with my emails, and wanted to propose an
alternative. What if we snap the modal window?

That is, dragging the modal window moves the modal window, allowing you
to peek behind it. When you let go, it springs back to its attached
position.

That sounds sensible to me.  The user can already click-drag the parent
and move it if that's their intention, so that should have all the benefit of the
current behavior without any of its problems mentioned here.

-Jonathan

I agree that both problems, needing to see behind the modal dialog to
check something and needing a visual connection are both important. I
think this solution would solve that