Re: Updating an extension for an older gnome shell

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Thiago Bellini Ribeiro
<hackedbellini gmail com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 12:19 AM, Jasper St. Pierre
> <jstpierre mecheye net> wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 10:05 PM, Thiago Bellini Ribeiro
>> <hackedbellini gmail com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I just added a feature on my extension on the master branch and
>>> uploaded it to ego.
>>> I ported the feature to my 3.4 branch (the one I keep the code
>>> compatible with that version) and wanted to provide an update to it.
>>>
>>> Is it ok to do?
>>
>> Of course.
>>
>>> I mean, it will generate a very strange diff for
>>> reviewing (the reversion of everything I did to support 3.6 for
>>> example) and when I upload a new version for 3.6, it would appear like
>>> I reverted that reversion, and that every time I update the 3.4
>>> version.
>>
>> I've seen those before. Don't worry too much about it. I can secretly
>> generate a diff against a better version if I need to. I might add
>> that feature to the diff viewer, too.
>
> Great! :)
>

>>> Also, one question:
>>> At gnome 3.2 and 3.4 I had to even the micro version for
>>> 'shell-version'. Ex: I had '3.4' and '3.4.1'. If I just had '3.4,
>>> running '3.4.1' would say it was not compatible.
>>> Is this still happening? I mean, will I have to add '3.6.1' to my
>>> extension since it only have '3.6' and '3.6.1' was released?
>>
>> If you specify "3.4" and run "3.4.1", it should say it's compatible.
>> It's a bug if this is not the case.
>
> hrm, so it's a bug (unless it was fixed after the last time I used it).
>
> I reproduced it on 3.4. My extension pointed only "3.4" on metadata
> and, when my shell updated to 3.4.1, it said it was incompatible. I
> edited it and put "3.4.1" together and it was compatible again =P

Just to comment, I think the problem doesn't exist anymore..

When I was uploading a new version of my extension for 3.4, I noticed
that it was marked as supporting "3.4" and "3.4.1", and I'm running
"3.4.2" here. If the problem still existed, it would be saying to me
that my extension is not compatible.