Re: Updating an extension for an older gnome shell

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 12:19 AM, Jasper St. Pierre
<jstpierre mecheye net> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 10:05 PM, Thiago Bellini Ribeiro
> <hackedbellini gmail com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just added a feature on my extension on the master branch and
>> uploaded it to ego.
>> I ported the feature to my 3.4 branch (the one I keep the code
>> compatible with that version) and wanted to provide an update to it.
>>
>> Is it ok to do?
>
> Of course.
>
>> I mean, it will generate a very strange diff for
>> reviewing (the reversion of everything I did to support 3.6 for
>> example) and when I upload a new version for 3.6, it would appear like
>> I reverted that reversion, and that every time I update the 3.4
>> version.
>
> I've seen those before. Don't worry too much about it. I can secretly
> generate a diff against a better version if I need to. I might add
> that feature to the diff viewer, too.

Great! :)

>> Also, one question:
>> At gnome 3.2 and 3.4 I had to even the micro version for
>> 'shell-version'. Ex: I had '3.4' and '3.4.1'. If I just had '3.4,
>> running '3.4.1' would say it was not compatible.
>> Is this still happening? I mean, will I have to add '3.6.1' to my
>> extension since it only have '3.6' and '3.6.1' was released?
>
> If you specify "3.4" and run "3.4.1", it should say it's compatible.
> It's a bug if this is not the case.

hrm, so it's a bug (unless it was fixed after the last time I used it).

I reproduced it on 3.4. My extension pointed only "3.4" on metadata
and, when my shell updated to 3.4.1, it said it was incompatible. I
edited it and put "3.4.1" together and it was compatible again =P