Re: Updating an extension for an older gnome shell

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 10:05 PM, Thiago Bellini Ribeiro
<hackedbellini gmail com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just added a feature on my extension on the master branch and
> uploaded it to ego.
> I ported the feature to my 3.4 branch (the one I keep the code
> compatible with that version) and wanted to provide an update to it.
>
> Is it ok to do?

Of course.

> I mean, it will generate a very strange diff for
> reviewing (the reversion of everything I did to support 3.6 for
> example) and when I upload a new version for 3.6, it would appear like
> I reverted that reversion, and that every time I update the 3.4
> version.

I've seen those before. Don't worry too much about it. I can secretly
generate a diff against a better version if I need to. I might add
that feature to the diff viewer, too.

> Also, one question:
> At gnome 3.2 and 3.4 I had to even the micro version for
> 'shell-version'. Ex: I had '3.4' and '3.4.1'. If I just had '3.4,
> running '3.4.1' would say it was not compatible.
> Is this still happening? I mean, will I have to add '3.6.1' to my
> extension since it only have '3.6' and '3.6.1' was released?

If you specify "3.4" and run "3.4.1", it should say it's compatible.
It's a bug if this is not the case.