Re: Restricting new windows to primary display?

On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 13:45 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> I almost always run my laptop connected to a second display.  This works
> *AWESOME* [thank you GNOME and Xorg people].  The workspaces, et all
> stick to the primary [built-in] laptop display and the second display is
> global.  I like how that works.
>
> Frequently that second display is a BIG screen or a projector and I show
> people stuff on that display and continue to use the primary display
> myself.  But if I open a new window or application.... sometimes it
> appears on the primary display, sometimes it appears on the secondard
> display.  This is annoying/distracting.
>
> Is there a means to have new applications *always* open on the primary
> display?  Then I can move them to the secondary display if I wish to.

I think always is a bit harsh. For instance if you start an app by
dragging the icon to the external screen then it should most definately
start there. Also, an app starting up from another app that is on the
secondary screen should probably also start there.

However, It seems right that when launched "by default" that apps should
appear on the primary screen.