Restricting new windows to primary display?

I almost always run my laptop connected to a second display.  This works
*AWESOME* [thank you GNOME and Xorg people].  The workspaces, et all
stick to the primary [built-in] laptop display and the second display is
global.  I like how that works.

Frequently that second display is a BIG screen or a projector and I show
people stuff on that display and continue to use the primary display
myself.  But if I open a new window or application.... sometimes it
appears on the primary display, sometimes it appears on the secondard
display.  This is annoying/distracting.

Is there a means to have new applications *always* open on the primary
display?  Then I can move them to the secondary display if I wish to.