Re: Question about gsettings in relation to gnome-shell extensions.

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Yaa101 <yaa101 xs4all nl> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I like to know a few extra things about gsettings that I was not able
> to find in google.
>
> First of all, where on the filesystem can I find the gsettings database?

Depends on the backend. For the dconf backend, it's in ~/.config/dconf/user

> Second, I want to know how a gnome-shell extension react to it's
> settings in the database.
> Are the settings live, so that I can change a setting and that the
> extension will automatically pick it up when it requests a key/settings
> pair.

Yes.

> Or are the settings loaded once at the initialisation fase of the
> extension and that the extension has to be reloaded to see the new
> settings.

No. But you have to connect to the setting to react to it.

> Or is there a event fired when settings changed?

Yes.

> Third-related to the second question, is there a way to give a command
> from or share info between the new gnome-shell extension preferences
> box and the extension.

No. It's designed to be launched from the web, where you cannot pass a
command line parameter.