Re: Tabbed workspaces

> Why not just show the tiled workspaces on the right at all times?  As
> they are seen in overview mode.  [I thought I saw an extension that did
> that??]  Depending on the display there is quite limited horizontal
> space in the top bar.

There are several reasons why this isn't a good idea:
1. It would use too much space on the screen.
2. The size of the workspace in the overview mode are too small to clearly see the windows inside of them. This makes the workspaces quite useless.

3. Most all the monitors sold are wide-screen monitors: There is always more space horizontal than vertical.
4. In general people find it more difficult to orientate vertical than horizontal.

> Please don't *insult* the "average user".  They are simply *not* that
> fantastically stupid.

Actually you are the one who is doing the insulting right now.
Most user don't use keyboard shortcuts because they find that too difficult. I don't find that stupid.

>You are assuming that my hand is on the mouse.  With your method I'd
> move my hands from the keyboard TO the mouse and then back again.

Yes, I assumed that they were on the mouse. That is the way most users use the computer.

> Motion pointer to the hot-zode (overview
> appears), click on the desired workspace.
Using the overview mode means introducing a completely unnecessarily extra step:
current application - 'flash' - overview mode - 'flash' - new application.
It is less efficient and less convenient for the user.

Yours sincerely,

Jeroen Verhoeckx