Re: Disliking gnome 3

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 8:55 AM, John Stowers
<john stowers lists gmail com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-09-05 at 08:47 +0300, Pasha R wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 1:22 PM, John Stowers
>> <john stowers lists gmail com> wrote:

>> > The problem is arguments like these are so anecdotal they become
>> > uninteresting. For example, my partner has no difficulty with G3, typing
>> > 'music' launches rhythmbox (i.e. no need to know the program name) and
>>
>> This argument is even less interesting. I'm glad your partner has no
>> problem with G3. I know enough people that do.
>
> I know N+1 that dont! (see my point?).
>
> I'm not entirely dismissing your criticism, I just think it would be
> more useful if more detailed or more structured (for example broken into
> chunks on bz, etc).
>
> Note, in the interests of fairness I am also a little disappointed that
> the shell was not accompanied by more detailed and recorded user
> testing.
>

>> > this icon based launcher is familiar to smartphone users.
>> Then G3 is probably good for smartphones. But I tried to run it on a
>> PC and it's a mess. Especially, if you use it with language other than
>> English.
>
> The english thing sounds like a bug.

Translation is never in perfect state, especially for programs coming
from 3-rd party repositories. Some programs simply don't have
translated name or description, so one must type it in English to find
them. In some cases there is no consistent terminology at all.