Re: Disliking gnome 3

On Mon, 2011-09-05 at 08:47 +0300, Pasha R wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 1:22 PM, John Stowers
> <john stowers lists gmail com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2011-09-04 at 09:15 +0300, Pasha R wrote:

> >> First of all, thank you for an answer.

> >> This is my first problem: what is your target user base? I don't think
> >> it is "advanced" users, since they usually want to customize their
> >> systems much more than allowed by current design. It is also probably
> >> not "novice" users - for example I don't see my mother typing
> >> application name anytime soon, and she will definitely feel lost in
> >> all these icons thrown into overview.
> >
> > The problem is arguments like these are so anecdotal they become
> > uninteresting. For example, my partner has no difficulty with G3, typing
> > 'music' launches rhythmbox (i.e. no need to know the program name) and
>
> This argument is even less interesting. I'm glad your partner has no
> problem with G3. I know enough people that do.

I know N+1 that dont! (see my point?).

I'm not entirely dismissing your criticism, I just think it would be
more useful if more detailed or more structured (for example broken into
chunks on bz, etc).

Note, in the interests of fairness I am also a little disappointed that
the shell was not accompanied by more detailed and recorded user
testing.

> > this icon based launcher is familiar to smartphone users.
> Then G3 is probably good for smartphones. But I tried to run it on a
> PC and it's a mess. Especially, if you use it with language other than
> English.

The english thing sounds like a bug.

John