Re: Disliking gnome 3

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Jasper St. Pierre
<jstpierre mecheye net> wrote:
> n Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Pasha R <pashar ml gmail com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Ben Greear <greearb candelatech com> wrote:
>>> I couldn't find a better place to voice my displeasure of Gnome 3,
>>> so I'm posting here.
>>>
>>> I really just want gnome-2 back.  Fallback mode sort of works, but its
>>> still not as good as gnome 2 was.  I do work on my computer, not just
>>> open one or two windows and browse the web.  I want one-click to open
>>> new Terminals.  I want to drag the Terminal icon into the top task bar
>>> to accomplish that.  Right-click should work without having to press
>>> Alt.  I want the bottom task dock or whatever it's called so I can easily
>>> select
>>> from the multitude of windows I have on my desktop.
>>>
>>> Please have a one-click (or very few clicks) option to get the old
>>> gnome-2 interface back.  If you want to have a new way of doing things,
>>> that's fine too, but please don't break the old ways of doing things
>>> so badly.
>>>
>>> I'm downgrading to Fedora 14 for now..hope things clear up by
>>> F16 or F17.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ben
>>>

>> Welcome to the club. But, IMHO, complaining here won't help -
>> developers repeatedly stated that they won't change anything, and
>> probably will make things even worse. I'm staying with F14 while it is
>> supported and looking at KDE and XFCE as a possible future
>> replacement.
>
> If you find that GNOME3 doesn't work for you, feel free to change to
> another desktop environment. No offence taken. It's not for everyone,
> and GNOME 3.0 was a bit unstable and buggy. If it was perfect, I'd be
> out of a job :). We're making changes every day, hopefully to be a bit
> better.
>
> A somewhat overarching theme of GNOME 3.2, and GNOME3 in general is to
> recognize how online services influence how people use computers and
> provide conveniently integration with IM, email, and for now, Google
> Documents. Some might feel a bit offended or scared of better online
> integration. If you are, feel free to change to another desktop
> environment. And we are sort of venturing into the unexplored here for
> a desktop environment, and we may not make the best choices all the
> time, and we're not going to be perfect from day one.
>
> (I'm using the "we" pronoun to conveniently refer to the GNOME desktop
> environment and its developers, but this is my opinion)
>
> (and a PSA: if you have any specific "doesn't work" complaints:
> crashes, slow, instability, something happened that you have
> reasonable belief to expect wasn't normal, please file bugs: I get
> frustrated when someone points out a bug on reddit or on a blog, and
> I've never seen it reported, even though it's a bug that we probably
> would have fixed.)

> --
>   Jasper

No, my problem is not limited to bugs, that wouldn't stop me from using GNOME :)

My problem is that shell is simply inconvenient to use and insulting
attitude of developers that think that they know better what I should
or shouldn't want to do with my computer. Extensions, at least in
their current state, resolve my usability problems very poorly. With a
lot of effort of hunting extensions all over the internet, I regain
small part of the functionality I could setup with few mouse clicks
with G2. The almost mindless action of launching new application now
became a full-scale "activity", and going there actually distracts me
from my work. The list can go on and on, and in general, I think Linus
summed it all up very well.