Re: Gnome Shell performance degrades over time

  $ mutter --replace

Note that mutter can't launch anything by itself, so it won't be very
useful. You probably want to run gnome-panel to get something to
launch.

  $ gnome-panel

Additionally, using the Linux Perf toolkit could help. PixelBeat has a
good summary:

  http://www.pixelbeat.org/programming/profiling/