Re: Already looking for alternatives!

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 3:41 AM, Bill Dwyer <bill dwyerlnx gmail com> wrote:
> Nic to know the Dev team doesn't care about what the users think.  I can see
> Gnome going out of style real fast!  Lets see now; <super><shift><f2>Opens
> the menu and <Ctrl><tab><space> closes the menu!  Or, 2 mouse clicks does
> the same thing!  I use Open Office on Windows and I still don't use hotkeys.
>  I'm not about memorize how many key sequences to do a simple mouse task and
> yes I do a lot of graphics.  This will probably be my last go with Ubuntu,
> period!  I'm already looking at KDE and several other alternatives.
>  Everyone needs to turn that Gnome foot around, because it's headed for a
> giant step backwards.  Check the Ubuntu forums some time and see how many
> people like the Unity desktop!  Gnome is destined to become the MS of Linux,
> pure and simple!

Hi,

looking at your email, I think you are complaining to a gnome-shell
(gnome3 new interface) list about your problems with unity
(ubuntu-specific interface, still based on gnome2 but with some
limited similarities with gnome-shell).

Now, assuming you are talking about unity, if I understand you mostly
complain about weird shortcuts, right? Keyboard shortcuts provide a
fast way to do things when you are not holding the mouse, they do not
prevent doing the same with the mouse. Bad shortcuts won't be used,
good shortcuts will make power-users happy. In any case they should
not get in the way of mouse-users or be mandatory. If it is the case,
it is a bug in the design. If you found such a case, come with
specific description and it may be taken into account.

For the record, I think some of the shortcuts in unity are brilliant
(subtle hint for the gnome-shell designers out here). It does not mean
making it impossible to do the same with the mouse, just providing an
alternative way to do so. You don't like them? Do not use them and let
those of us who do get the benefit.

If you have useful comments on gnome-shell, I'm sure the people out
here will be glad to hear them, but trolling on something unrelated
will not help...

Best regards.

--
Aurélien Naldi