Re: Apology and a "gesture of good faith" - please read on.

On sab, 2011-05-07 at 18:31 -0400, jordan wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> About a week, maybe 2 ago - i got into a fairly heated argument with the
> gnome-shell developers over some design choices, etc .... we don't need to
> go into it, as i am not interested (and i am sure no one else on the list is
> interested) into getting into some flame war over differences of opinion.
>
> Moving on.... i have been using Gnome 3 one one of my production machines
> for a week or so now.
> i am not reallly into the Gnome-shell experience (we don't need to kick that
> dead-horse) - But, I did make mistakes in how I approached this list and
> also gnome-developers...   I also could have been more constructive about
> how I approached my concerns in general, and should've "detatched" the
> developers from the new UI, and voiced my concerns more politely. I realize
> you have all been working very hard on Gnome-Shell, so i should have been
> more sensitive...for this i am truly sorry.
>
> As a small gesture, that i hope you all take on good faith - I have fixed
> the gnome-Tweak-Tool "welcome logo" found here in the linux file-system:
>
> /usr/share/gnome-tweak-tool/welcome.png
>
> The original image had been created on a white background. but we live in a
> world of transparency, and so do our DEs. Not only that - but what initially
> brought this to my attention, was when i switched to a darker GTK3 theme. It
> became painfully obvious - so i fixed it, and am sharing it.
>
> It looks far more professional, and now should match all global bg_colors,
> in your gtk3 theme (gtk.css).
>
> i've attached the file, but also am posting a link to my original post in
> the Archlinux forums - as it has images to better show you all (if you
> didn't know already) how badly using the current logo looks, when not using
> the default Adwaita theme. here's my post;

> I hope this in some small way, is appreciated by someone that i may have
> offended.  I would also like to take this time to tell you some things i
> love about gnome 3;
>
> 1. gsettings, dconf.  we don't need to get into their specifications - but
> let me just say, wonderful technology. Reminds me of the windows registry a
> little (being binary and all), but powerful and well suited. love the lack
> of conxect-switching (unlike gconf) great idea  :)
>
> 2. I love all of the system tools GUIs, whether we are talking about
> system-settings, gnome-tweak-tool or gnome-color-manager - they all look
> polished, and are easy to navigate. very usable and professional.
>
> 3. I love GTK3 - CSS is great for themes, and easy to modify, whether it be
> your gtk-widget.css - easy to find the various sections for each type of
> widget....and all that one requires for modifying color-schemes in gtk.css
> is "gpick" and gedit. it'll be great when there is a GUI to modify themes,
> but until then - it's still pretty straight forware to do.
>
> 4. Systemd - a great way to boot up, and manage services. I was already
> [...]

Jordan,

This email embodies why I love Free/Open Source Software.  We can all
see eye to eye if we try, no matter if our opinions differ.  When we
don't, if we admit it (both parties), all can continue on.
Productively.

Thanks for your work, and the work of all the developers on the Shell,
GNOME, and all of FOSS software.  We can do some great stuff if we work
together.

Cheers,
Patrick

--
Humm and Strumm <http://hummstrumm.blogspot.com/>, a Free Software 3D
adventure game for both Windows and *NIX.

freeSoftwareHacker(); <http://freesoftwarehacker.blogspot.com/>, a blog
about Free Software, music, and law.