Re: Unity-Style Menu

On Fri, 2011-05-06 at 09:47 -0500, Matthew Planchard wrote:
> My idea is that since Gnome3 already has a clickable application icon
> on the top bar that opens a menu with a "close" option, why not just
> go ahead and insert the entire program menu? This would increase
> visible screen space for the users, while providing an intuitive way
> to access the program menus. In fact, when I first saw the icon along
> the top, I thought that is what it would do.

At least for the time being, the plan is to add actions which affect the
application as a whole (e.g. Preferences, Help, ...) there, not the
entire menu - actions which only apply to a specific window/document
should not move.

There are some efforts on the design side though to come up with a
replacement for menu bars (think "menu button" in Firefox/Chromium).
See https://live.gnome.org/Design/Whiteboards/Menus for reference.

Florian