Re: Unity-Style Menu

On Fri, 2011-05-06 at 09:47 -0500, Matthew Planchard wrote:
> First, I'd like to say that I really like the Gnome3 shell.

Me too.

>  It was definitely a surprise at first, but it's gotten to be very
> intuitive.

Same experience.

> feature is probably my favorite thing, and I just discovered that you
> can switch between windows of an open program with Alt+(key above
> tab), which fixes my long-standing annoyance that I couldn't just

I just learned about that yesterday; it does rock.

> My time piddling about in Unity, though, has brought an idea to mind,
> which I wanted to share with you. One of the cooler features they have
> is the integration of the menu into the top bar. It gives the user
> more screen space and recognizes that generally, no one needs to see
> the menus unless they need to.

Someone brings this up on this list almost every week [app menus in the
top bar].

Personally I hope this *never* happens.  It just puts the menu further
away from the data.  In a limited environment [like a tablet] all apps
run maximized / full-screen anyway. So there is no win for anybody.