Re: Some suggestions

Il giorno lun, 21/03/2011 alle 20.14 -0500, Ryan Peters ha scritto:
> Hi Alberto. I'm not a developer for the project, but I'll try to answer
> your concerns:
>
> On 03/21/2011 04:52 PM, Alberto B. wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> > I started to use gnome-shell some weeks ago with that in the repo of
> > Fedora 14, then I built the newer from git two weeks ago and I still
> > using it.
> > I appreciate the great work you are doing on GS and I would give you
> > some suggestion.
> > Due to lack of the taskbar (lower bar in Gnome2) now I'm using more Alt
> > +TAB shortcut than overview to switch running applications, but I think
> > we need of a mouse action to quick switch them: could one mouse click on
> > the upper bar free space raise the switcher (the same behaviour of Alt
> > +TAB)?
> That's not very discoverable if you ask me. Also, isn't that what the
> Activities overlay is for? Just flick your mouse to the top-left (or tap
> the Win/Super/Meta key) and you get a vertical list of your windows on
> the left as well as a spacial organization of your windows in the
> middle. It works simple enough for me.
I know that Activity button can reveal windows organization but Alt+TAB
is for me a very quick way to "jump and back" to a running application
in any workspaces.

> > I don't understand the meanings of the icon (near activity button) with
> > only the possibility to close the application, there is a redundance of
> > "X" button (on window title, in that button and in overview mode). Could
> > this icon give more information about favorite or running applications?
> There's a difference between "closing" and "quitting" in Shell: closing
> the window is done with the X button on the corner of the window, while
> quitting the application closes every single window associated with it
> (for example, closing a Firefox window only closes that window, but
> "quitting" Firefox closes every Firefox window). If I'm not mistaken, it
> should be possible to add things to that menu like "Preferences" or
> "Help" (if not now, then in the near future), though this is on a
> per-application basis.
Yes, this is the behaviour. I'm sorry, but I did not understand the real
function of "quit" probably due to the italian translation. I hope that
button becomes customizable and usefull.

> >   and in the application TAB should have more text below, to
> > explain better what they do (similar to tips in gnome2 menu). What about
> > the possibility to have icon view / list view  / detailed view, like
> > nautilus do with files?
> Do you mean the Alt+Tab menu, or the Activities dock? I'm not so sure
> about this one so I'll leave it for others to discuss.
I mean when you click on "applications" in overview; now I see huge
icons and very small text below them, often truncated with points (due
to the lenght). I imagine tips when the mouse goes over them or the
possibility to see them as list instead of icons. Maybe in the
future.....

> > My system spends some seconds to give list of applications/categories so
> > I hope this will be better in the final release of GS. It's not a quick
> > way to find applications....
> I second this. It's not a huge deal but if the applications menu could
> be pre-loaded instead of being loaded when Shell accesses it, that would
> be very helpful.
I agree, surely this is the solution.

> > Overview mode should be the easy way to find something, so I think the
> > workspaces should be always unhide.
> It could be possible to write an extension to do this, though I don't
> particularly mind the current behavior.
To see where my application is, I have to click on "Activities" button
on the left corner then go to the opposite side to unhide workspaces; I
think it is not so immediate even if it looks good. In Gnome 2 I always
used an applet added to the panel, to switch running applications using
a menu (Windows selector): it was quick and easy.

Anyway, I think the auto management of workspaces is one of the best
functions of GS ;-)

Thanks
Alberto