Re:Tiling features in Mutter

Hi,

after a lot of checking I decided to continue on this for now by adding to tabbing/tiling features to the mutter source itself instead of as a gnome-shell plugin. Main reason for the decision is that I want to have tabbing. And for this a lot of extensions would have to added to mutter to do it from outside. I try to isolate my additions from the mainline mutter as far as possible. Design goal is to make it easy to separate is mainline mutter and what are tabbing/tiling additions. I hope with time it will become clear what are the minimal additions necessary to the mutter base. Than can be sorted out which parts we should aim to get into mainline.

As said, any help with the project is still welcome. What needs to be done for now is: - adding some more keybinds for convenience, e.g. to change the order of the windows in the same tile or to cycle through the untiled windows - changing the referencing concept (the tilings should reference the windows instead of the other way round). this makes sorting windows easier and is less intusive to mainline code - adding save/restore tiling layout from/to config. I would like to get my tilings back after login/logout (maybe it is even possible to restore the windows in the original tiles). - getting started with tabbing (this means figuring out how to add this to the frame)
- and of course testing and bugfixing

If anyone would like to do any of this, that would be great. Send me a mail, I probably can help you getting started.

Best,

Oliver