Re: No minimise/maximise (again)

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 7:48 AM, Marshall Neill <ramien43 windstream net> wrote:

On 03/14/2011 10:37 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Thu, 2011-03-10 at 09:46 -0500, William Jon McCann wrote:
Hey,

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 9:37 AM, Florian Müllner<fmuellner gnome org>  wrote:
On Thu, 2011-03-10 at 14:00 +0000, kaddy080 gmail com wrote:
2) Don't you guys surf the net for porn!!!!???? C'monnnn. Do you know
how hard it is now to hide a webpage quickly when somebody walks into
the room!!!!???? Don't deny it. You guys watch porn too ;)
now you ruined everything. haha :)
Uhm - so basically you post to a public mailing list that you'd like to
keep your porn-browsing habits private?
Well at least he or she didn't describe the type of porn.

Sounds like a good case for a porn workspace.  When someone walks up
behind you at work, zip it up and switch workspaces.  Another option
is to use the keyboard shortcuts if that's where your hands are
(doubtful).  You may even want to configure a special keybinding if
getting caught in the act is a common part of your workflow.
Otherwise you can use the overview to switch away.   Your porn-space
is mostly hidden off the right side of the screen in the overview.

But let's try to use work-safe examples here in the future please.
Can't resist continuing this one. As we're talking about hiding porn
'webpages' we are apparently in a web browser. If you're trying to keep
your porn browsing private you probably want to be doing it in Private
Browsing Mode, which - in Firefox, anyway - has a keyboard shortcut:
shift-ctrl-P. It's even, very conveniently, a shortcut you can manage
with one hand, if you use the right-hand side ctrl and shift keys. That
makes it nice and easy to get rid of your porn session with no
minimizing required - just whack the keyboard shortcut to quit private
browsing mode and you're right back in your convincingly work-related
browser session.

I'M JUST SAYIN, IS ALL

(of course, if you're on a work network, you can rely on the fact that
your friendly office BOFH has your outgoing HTTP requests logged. Please
refer to said BOFH for the fee schedule for keeping said logs
private...)
I have been watching this list for some time now and I have come to a conclusion, perhaps a bad one, but one nonetheless, you have taken away functionality.  The whole gnome shell thing is woirkspace driven.  As I said before, you guys might use workspaces, but from what I have seen in the years and years of dealing with computers, not used all that often.  Now if you use workspaces, great, but forcing others to adopt that mentality, not so sure.   No minimize, maximize, why?  You have just removed functionality and I believe minimize was removed because there isn't any taskbar.  Minimize caused the window to basically disappear and you couldn't find it.   Well if you pressed the Super key or moused over to the Activities you would find it.  More work.  Taskbar, there is one, so to speak, but basically a space stealer.   Has a calendar, woohoo, and the activities plus system tray.   Boy that will cause everyone to drop KDE, XFCE,etc and just stampede over to the new Gnome Shell.  Yeah right.  Now I know I am gonna get nailed bigtime for this e-mail, but I feel it needed to be said.  All I have seen, for the mostpart, is praise.  No real criticisms.
I always thought the basic premise for an upgrade or new features was productivity.  I don't see a lot of that in the new shell.  More mouse moving/clicking, etc.

The functionality is not being removed.. it's not just visible.  You can still get to it via right click on the title bar or the keyboard shortcut.  Why not try it that way instead of just bashing it?  If you don't like it you can always set the key in dconf to put it back.

The thing about computers is that work models change constantly.  How people interact with their computers change.. today a lot of people are using cell phones and the way they interact on that is in fact workspace based.  The way they work with tablets is workspace based.  I strongly suspect that the smart phone use models is going to affect the UI desktop computing.  I see this as getting ahead of the curve.   (or perhaps we've always been there.. I've been using workspaces since 1993)

Maybe you don't agree with the direction and that's understandable, change isn't always easy to manage especially if you're happy with the status quo.  GNOME has always been about "just works" and pushing the desktop out of your consciousness so that you can concentrate on the tasks you're working on effectively.  "Distraction free computing" as is described in the http://www.gnome3.org/ website.  Perhaps this iteration may not the best for you, but please continue to monitor subsequent iterations and try them out.  Keep an open mind is all we ask. Perhaps you'll appreciate some of the changes?

sri