Re: A few comments regarding Gnome-shell

On Mon, 2011-03-07 at 10:52 +0100, David Prieto wrote:

> - I have noticed there is an Apps menu which you can use to browse all
> installed apps, but there isn't a similar Places menu where you can
> browse your favourited folders, external volumes and recently used
> files. Wouldn't such a menu make sense?

This is happening in the "zeitgeist" branch.  It will have a journal of
the things you have done over time - files edited, web sites visited,
etc.

> - After working for some time with Ubuntu's Unity, there was one thing
> I really liked: having the current window's menubar integrated in the
> top panel. What is the opinion of the Gnome team regarding this?

This is technically difficult.  Unity's top menubar works by patching
GTK+ so that it will send the text labels for menu items over D-Bus, to
a process that administers the menu.  This doesn't work for every app,
especially for those that don't use "plain" menus but instead tweak them
in one way or another.

The top menubar is interesting, but so far no one has made an
implementation that "just works" - we'll very likely have to rethink the
way menus work in GTK+ for that to be universal.

  Federico