Re: A few comments regarding Gnome-shell

On 03/07/2011 11:43 AM, David Prieto wrote:
Hi Jürgen,

    I do not comprehend the advantages of the menu on top approach
    (apple approach). With high resolution, big screens and several (not
    maximised) windows, the distance i have to move the mouse grows much
    higher.

My experience with top-panel menus has been that yes, they're farther
away but no, they're not more difficult to reach because I could "throw"
the cursor to the top of the screen and be sure it would land on the menu.

Okay, i buy this one.

As for the advantages, I think it would go well with Gnome3's efforts to
remove clutter and distractions, by hiding every menubar except for the
one from the active window. Seriously, I can't recall ever having wanted
to open the menubar of an inactive window, partly because in most cases
they're half-hidden anyway and you need to raise the window first, so
why not go all the way and hide them entirely?

Gnome-shell has some tiling features built in *, and when the windows are side by side its two clicks vs. one. Of course it can be weighted against additional clutter on the screen. I like having everything in one place (the window). But maybe thats old-fashioned.

Regarding unity: i confess i like that in unity the titlebar is integrated with top panel when windows are maximized. So I think removing the close button from windows altogether (as others have done), and maybe moving it to the top panel (not only context menu of activity, but explicit) is at least worth a try.

* (hopefully some other features will be added, e.g. behavior when dragging a second window to a side with an already maximised window)

Juergen