Re: Window controls for GNOME 3

On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 00:55 +0530, Vishnoo wrote:

> You are reading/understanding things too literally.

> Let me rephrase that more clearly, When I said "In an ideal world there
> should be no need for maximize/restore" , it just meant we should not
> _have_ to do window resize often.
> I'm *not* suggesting the removal of the ability to resize and that
> everything be done only automatically.

Well, you didn't say I was supposed to understand them metaphorically.
=) But if all you're saying is that GNOME should try to be smarter about
initial sizes (and, possibly, dynamic resizing/tiling) so that manual
resizing becomes less necessary, sure, I can get all the way behind
that. I was just worried about the idea of taking it to its 'logical
extension' - your 'ideal world' scenario where manual maximizing /
resizing become unnecessary. If we're not going there, then no problem,
go ahead.

> But, IMO, this outcry for removal of the maximize button seems a very
> disproportionate to the actual need and does not focus on the cause of
> the problem which requires user to resize often.
> If we were to restore the maximize button, it would not be the right
> solution, it would only be a workaround.

I'm not hugely bothered either way about the maximize button,
personally. You only have to learn 'double-click on the window bar' once
and it's just as easy as clicking a maximize button. As a general
principle, the removal of features with _no easy alternative_ bothers me
much more than the removal of one of many different ways to do
something, as long as one of the other ways is not inherently more
difficult.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey