Re: Window controls for GNOME 3

> On Wed, 2011-03-02 at 16:44 +0530, Vishnoo wrote:
>
> > IMO, the maximize/resize 'feature' is a workaround for a window
> > management that never got fully implemented.
> >
> > It would be very interesting to know why user is forced to resize the
> > windows manually and try to fix those problems.
> >
> > In an ideal world there should be no need for maximize/restore.
> > App should be able to know the size that displayed-content requires to
> > display, notifies the window manager and the window resizes accordingly.
>
> Oh god, no.
>
> How does a text editor 'know' how big a window 'needs' to be to display
> a 500 page document (or a 10,000 line source code file)? It can't fit on
> one screen.

You are reading/understanding things too literally.
If there are 500/5000 lines of code it obviously necessitates to display
the lines as several pages. It can not be *legibly* displayed in a
single page view.

Let me rephrase that more clearly, When I said "In an ideal world there
should be no need for maximize/restore" , it just meant we should not
_have_ to do window resize often.
I'm *not* suggesting the removal of the ability to resize and that
everything be done only automatically.

There are always special cases, on desktop/laptops, where we would like
to resize manually.
Some of the cases mentioned earlier could be dealt with better
tiling/grid views, but some wont work with improving grid view alone.

But, IMO, this outcry for removal of the maximize button seems a very
disproportionate to the actual need and does not focus on the cause of
the problem which requires user to resize often.
If we were to restore the maximize button, it would not be the right
solution, it would only be a workaround.

--
Cheers,
Vish