Re: Window controls for GNOME 3

On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 16:36 -0500, William Jon McCann wrote:
> Hey Sandy,
>
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Sandy Armstrong
> <sanfordarmstrong gmail com> wrote:
> > (What happened to your mail client line-wrapping settings?)
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:
> >> The maximize button
> >> ===================
> >>
> >> The above was about minimization - but the request was also to remove the maximize button. This is a little different since there are more obvious ways to maximize a window - the drag to the top gesture or double-clicking on the title bar - we're not really talking about removing the feature of maximization but just the button.
> >
> > I generally applaud the bold changes happening in the shell, but I
> > disagree with removing the maximize/restore button.  I'll paste here a
> > comment I wrote on Allan's blog:
> >
> > 1) Drag-and-drop is very difficult on touchpads, and most people these
> > days are buying laptops. Drag-and-drop is also undiscoverable.

> There are three other things that should help in these cases:
>
>  * using the entire titlebar as a double click target to maximize
>  * using keyboard shortcuts for maximization
>  * in some cases maximizing certain sovereign apps by default
> (particularly on smaller screens)

(Apart from multiple window management, where we have the snap to grids)

Why does one actually want to maximize and restore windows or resize
them? (nautilus windows dont count, lets think about apps/task instead
of file-management ;p )

IMO, the maximize/resize 'feature' is a workaround for a window
management that never got fully implemented.

It would be very interesting to know why user is forced to resize the
windows manually and try to fix those problems.

In an ideal world there should be no need for maximize/restore.
App should be able to know the size that displayed-content requires to
display, notifies the window manager and the window resizes accordingly.

Some apps try to do this, some just save the window state, but the
current situation is not perfect since we seem to require
window-resizing.

IMO, we should look into fixing this broken maximize/resize "feature".
And removing this button or making it less discoverable might force us
into thinking of an ideal situation..

just my non-coder 2c ;-)

--
Cheers,