Re: Window controls for GNOME 3

For example while trying to store knowledge in my brain, I often have pdfs with exercise opened and maximize the window to have it easily readable while working on plain ol' paper.
When I do actual coding (and dont have the 2nd monitor available), I often have the exercise next to the IDE which requires the windows to be resized properly. 50/50 splitting wouldn't help since I'd want to set the distribution of screen real estate dynamically. Regardless of the fact that evince comes up with a completely unusable window dimension here, I often need to adjust the size of the content displayed.

I completely agree with Marcus.
For example, when you have some information in your email client that you have to report somewhere else, cycling through windows can be a pain. In that case, I prefer resizing windows, having Tbird in the background with the relevant information in sight, while having the other app in the foreground with focus.
Other case : terminals. The size of the terminal really depends on what you are doing. Plus, when working on distant machines, window resizing can be really bad interpreted.

I personally don't care much of having the resizing buttons or not, but still I want to be able to set the size. Maybe at open time, a window with a surface above a certain threshold can be maximized at startup ?
The close button is a different case : How will we force firefox to quit when it hangs ?

Cheers,
Thomas