Re: Extensions Infrastructure Work

there are of course other possible designs... just let me enounce one :

- the shell maintains a long polling connection directly with extensions.gnome.org and tells him directly under the user account what are the extensions enabled/installed/disabled/errors in the shell.
- when the user connects under his account on extensions.gnome.org he sees what his the status of his installed extensions.
- when the user click to install an extension, the web server respond to the web polled connection from the shell that the user asked for the installation of the extension
- then in the long polled connection with the extensions.gnome.org the shell starts receiving the extension, check it, install it and notifies the website of the status of the installation

but this design wasn't choosed. i don't see why as long polling is pretty common technique. may be there are flaws that i don't see.

2011/6/23 Tim Cuthbertson <tim gfxmonk net>
>> As you do not have stuff like ActiveX, you need something to retrieve
>> the info. Having something with local storage means it has to already be
>> known by the browser. So you'll have to change the local storage of all
>> possible browsers...
>
> There are very good reasons why this type of thing doesn't work across
> browsers. If we want to make it so users can install and manage extensions
> from browsers, it should be through browser extensions and not a local http
> server hack.
> Jesse

A chrome extension would still need a local server (or something of
the sort), as chrome extensions can't actually launch processes or
otherwise interact with the host system. So then you'd need a chrome
extension *and* a web server (see
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ljobjlafonikaiipfkggjbhkghgicgoh
for an example extension that does exactly that).

I still think there ought to be a better way than a local web server,
but I'm not seeing it...