Re: How to make window / workspace management easier

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 9:25 PM, David Prieto <frandavid100 gmail com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been following this list for some time and on the most common
> complaints is that sending a window to another workspace is complex and time
> consuming when you're using your mouse, because you have to open the
> Overview prior to dragging the window. Even those users complaining about
> the removal of the minimize button end up admitting that their main gripe is
> that hiding a window you don't want to see, takes more time than it used to.
>
> Now, Gnome 3.0 has given a lot of prominence to dragging as a replacement to
> the maximize button: promotional videos have shown us how that button isn't
> necessary anymore, because you can drag the window to different edges to get
> different maximization effects.
>
> Then, why not do the same to replace minimization? Why not take a hint from
> Nautilus, which allows you to drag files using the middle button to get
> additional options, and do the same with windows? Why not use middle-drag
> too? This is what I propose:
>
> - When the user middle-drags the window to the right edge of the screen the
> workspace selector appears. Then the user can drop the window on any
> workspace: the window disappears from the current workspace (preferably
> using an animation) and the workspace selector closes again. It takes half a
> second to get rid of a window using only the mouse, and much less cursor
> moving.
>
> - When the user middle-drags the window to the top or bottom edge of the
> screen, he moves to the previous or next workspace while taking the window
> with him (same as using ctrl+alt+shift+up/down). That way he can keep
> working on the current activity while hiding everything else quickly and
> without any hassle, only using a mouse.
>
> I would like some feedback on this idea. Anything?

I like it. However as a user who can't be bothered to actually go all
the way to the titlebar, I'm much more prone to using the old "alt +
drag" to move, "alt + middle-click-drag" to resize shortcuts. I'd love
if this use case could be taken into account.

Perhaps by using a modifier instead of (or as an alternate to) middle
click, e.g when "shift" is pressed the same behaviour could be
triggered. This would also mean you don't have to decide what your
action will be before you start dragging the window.

But yeah, I certainly like the idea.