Cheap PCI graphic cards for GNOME Shell

Hey there,
Most of my family members run cheap desktops from 5-10 years ago. Intel 865 or older graphics. No AGP or PCI-E ports.

I'm looking for recommendations for graphic cards that
- Can run GNOME Shell in a fluid manner
- Are PCI (not PCI express or AGP)
- Are dirt cheap/easy to find

Bonus points for fanless cards.

I'll be using whatever open source drivers are available (that probably means the r300/r400/r500/r600 free Radeon drivers or the Nouveau drivers, since I'm guessing those are the most reliable to run GNOME3 on, except Intel drivers). Screen resolution will typically be 1024x768 or 1280x1024.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has to upgrade old machines that are, otherwise, perfectly good...

Thanks!