Re: Gnome 3 Extensions/Themes Website?
- From: Job <jobdrb gmail com>
- To: Milan Bouchet-Valat <nalimilan club fr>
- Cc: gnome-shell-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: Gnome 3 Extensions/Themes Website?
- Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 15:06:28 -0300
The question about consistence and UI.
Of course there many users that use computers in their work or home, which only open one or two applications,
and for these people there is no need for customizing.
How many people here use the same car, with the same features, color, etc?
Clean, Concise, Consistent "C3", are really good words to express a good User Interface Design Concept.
But differentiation are a deep part of Human Nature. People like express their personality, way of organizing ideas when
using Screen Devices. Theming is one of coolest feature of SmartPhones, and has a big marketing for this.
MS Windows was not so nice for customizing, but MS, sold Microsoft Plus.
What amazing part of Windows History. Many people bought (or pirate)
to only be able to express new Art design for their desktop..
Theming MUST be a central part of an UI design, and not the contrary.
May be you like a Black Car so deep, that you could say "Every Client could choose the color, since be Black"
Good taste to make a Bealty C3, is very important. But, itsn't the opposite to theming and customizing.
FOSS is all about changing, customizing. Peoplo get a FOOS and pay for someone adapt to their needs,
C3 could never be Static Interface. C3 interface must be fluidness.
For example, I had only a good eye (my right eye), then a Left Static Bar, is really awful.
Not only for me, but many skillful persons would prefer a Right Bar.
G3 need to be a C3 fluidness interface and not the contrary.
2011/6/10 Milan Bouchet-Valat <nalimilan club fr>
Le vendredi 10 juin 2011 à 11:25 +0100, Allan Day a écrit :
> One possibility for extensions would be to turn them into something moreI think the main reference here is the way Firefox manages extensions.
> akin to Google Labs - that is, something that is communicated and
> structured as an experimentation ground, rather than a market place that
> we encourage users to use (the very name 'extension' does just that).
> The other nice thing about Google Labs is that the experimental nature
> of the features it contains is clearly communicated.
Many people use stock Firefox, and it works very well, but many others
like to play with appearance (personas, equivalent to our themes), or
need a specific feature (extensions, in both terminologies). This
example is quite positive. The fact that people can easily extend their
desktop encourages them to support it and hack on it. IMHO, the
available stock of extensions is one of the reasons why many GNOME fans
use Firefox rather than Epiphany.
While I'm a big supporter of the "default desktop consistent and great
for everybody" approach (and I'm not running any extensions), I don't
think it hurts the GNOME brand to promote extensions. At the end of the
day, people who use them know that they aren't stock GNOME, and how to
disable them if they want to get the default experience. The difference
with the applets mess is that in GNOME 2 there was no default
experience: everything was applets, and once you had messed with your
panel, you had no clear way of resetting it. With the Shell, you can
just disable extensions.
Finally, extensions makes it easier to enforce a common design that
works for 95% of users, while allowing the remaining 5% to do what they
like. This is a good way for designers to turn down complaints and keep
hackers happy. ;-)
] [Thread Prev