Re: Gnome 3 Extensions/Themes Website?

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 19:59, Jasper St. Pierre <jstpierre mecheye net> wrote:
>> Why reinvent the wheel? The source for addons-mozilla.org is freely
>> available. Look in mxr.mozilla.org/amo and elsewhere.
>
> I indeed looked at the code. It's called "Zamboni":
> http://github.com/jbalogh/zamboni
>
> It's a huge application, I figured that it would take some time just to
> learn the code, and it may be better to start from scratch

In my (limited) experience it is usually better to learn existing code
than to start from scratch, if the existing code:
1) Is written by a respected software house
2) Is created to do exactly the job that you need to do.

This seems to be the case! Mozilla is very clever and have some
terrific solutions to common problems. Just a random, recent example:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Localization_and_Plurals

There is a lot of thought, code, and manhours put into that. I
wouldn't want to duplicate that, no matter how convoluted it might at
first appear. It got that way for a reason.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com