Re: Color coding in gnome-shell

2011/5/31 Peter Goetz <peter gtz gmail com>:
> Hi Florian,
>
>> Hi Peter!
>>
>> I'm not a developer but I experienced the same problem.
>>
>> 2011/5/28 Peter Goetz <peter gtz gmail com>:
>>> There is only one thing, however, that I think could be improved and I
>>> would like to hear you guy's opinion on it. Here's the problem:
>>>
>>> Whenever I have more than 6 windows open and most of them are Firefox
>>> windows with a white background it's very difficult to easily spot the
>>> window I am looking for when I'm in the activities view. And it
>>> doesn't even have to be only Firefox windows, even my Eclipse window
>>> with its white background is hard to find too. So I spend a lot of
>>> time searching for windows.
>>
>> I face that problem very often, especially when using the standard
>> grid overview. When using non-fullscreen windows, such as nautilus
>> folder views the native-window-placement extension brings some
>> improvements.
>>
>> http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell-extensions/tree/extensions/native-window-placement
>
> Nice! Haven't seen this. I'm pretty sure it improves the situation,
> unfortunately I couldn't test it yet. Somehow the version in the
> extension and my gnome-shell version do not match and fixing it in the
> extension makes gnome-shell crash during startup.

Tried it again today and it suddenly works. Not sure why it crashed
before. Anyways, changing the version number did the trick. This looks
great! I have to use it for some time in order to have a real opinion
of course. But what I can already see, is, that it really works nicely
with non fullscreen windows. Fullscreen windows are still somewhat
difficult to identify it seems. But the positions strategy is probably
still better than the colors...

Anyways, thanks for this great extension!
Peter