Re: Gnome shell suggestions after a bit of usage

On Fri, 2011-07-08 at 18:24 +0200, Giovanni Campagna wrote:

> > > I do like the notification part in gnome-shell (beside the integrated
> > > chat stealing focus, but all it needs is tweaking), I was talking
> > > about the "interact with background application" part: I thought
> > > gnome-shell also had an API for this as the indicators proposed by
> > > canonical have been rejected. From a user point of view, the system
> > > area in gnome-shell is very similar. What I do not know is wether it
> > > is it limited to the shell and extensions, or if any application can
> > > add something as well.
> >
> > It's limited to the Shell (and extensions), by design. The Shell
> > developers want the Shell interface to be consistent, not vary between
> > users, distros and apps.
>
> This is not true. The message tray is a central interaction point for a
> well defined set of applications (chat, music, email, etc).

You're confused. We're talking about the 'system area in
gnome-shell' (i.e. the top right, where the user menu, NM menu,
Bluetooth menu, sound menu and accessibility menu live), not the
'message tray', at this point.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey