Re: Arrow key window selector extension.

Great work!

Am Sonntag, den 03.07.2011, 19:07 +0200 schrieb privacy:
> I have written an extension for selecting windows in overview mode with
> arrow keys. When you are in overview mode and press an arrow key, the
> most recently focused window will be selected and highlighted. As soon
> as you have navigated to the desired window you can press ENTER for
> activating the window or DELETE for closing it. Mouse events and other
> key events will terminate the selection process. I think the navigation
> logic should work with any window placement strategy and multiple
> monitors should also be supported.

Seems to work with native-window-placement-extension. Maybe in one case
the selection algorithm could be improved a little bit:

When a window is placed and selected on the left of the screen and
another one is placed below it but a bit even more left, it's not
selectable by left-key, only by down-key. I think left-key would be
practical in that case, especially if you have a lot of windows and want
to choose the most-left window. Maybe this could be fixed without
breaking other cases?

I'm not sure if I will use it, but it enables
one-finger-key-pressing-window-switching what can be useful in some
cases. Maybe switching workspaces and organizing windows on workspaces
would be another nice feature? (for example arrow-key workspace
switching by going all over to the right and window dragging via shift).

On the other hand - is there a reason why such a feature isn't
integrated into core gnome-shell?