Re: Gnome Shell

Hi all,
To go over a  response to my e-mail

The easiest way to get to a place is to type it in the search ("Home
Folder") and yes, we know it's suboptimal.

Well if I may reiterate, if coming from Windows how would a user know to type Home folder as that is a Linux naming convention I think. My computer or Explore might be a choice instead. As the 'older' Gnome shell displayed that option by default. Kinda handy don't you think. In addition to the Network and others I mentioned. BTW, I would think users might be using the Recent Documents section as well. If they wrote a letter or whatever then they might want to change something. How do you find Recent Documents in the new Gnome Shell. All this is pointing to the fact that the older shell had all these features PLUS cool graphics, if you wanted them.

That sounds like a bug. What applications aren't showing?

Well when you clicked on the old Gnome Menu system you would have choices, as in Internet, Games, Preferences, System, etc. Now you get all applications but NOT ALL. Mouse, Keyboard, Keyboard shortcuts, Sound (as in Preferences), Screensaver. Sure, Control Center gives that to you but it's not obvious to casual observer that that is the place to go. You EXPECT that to be out in the open.
Seems more and more clicking is involved now.

If you have other things that are bothering you, please tell us!

1. Where did the Minimized application go? Looking at the screen it appears nowhere. All that real estate on the 'Panel', why not put it there. I know they are trying to differentiate, but that feature, I feel, would be greatly appreciated. Less Mouse moving.

2. No auto-complete in the Run dialog window.

3. Focus stealing prevention is enough to drive you mad. I mean, I am in Thunderbird and Firefox is up and running. Click a link in an e-mail and a little panel pops up indicating that Firefox has been 'sort of activated' but not brought to the front. More mouse moving and clicking. I would think that in the OS that the parent is Thunderbird and I have clicked a Link, so bring Firefox to the front. This even occurs sporadicly in Firefox and you want to send a Link. The e-mail is behind Firefox and yes, more mouse moving.

4. I noticed that when I brought up the 'new' Gnome Shell that the window border had changed. I saw no way to get it back. I was using Equinox and the new one, I have no idea what that one is.

5. In general it just seems like that there is a lot more mouse moving and clicking than prior.

Regards,
Marshall Neill