Re: Gnome Shell

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 10:36 PM, Marshall Neill
<ramien43 windstream net> wrote:
> Gentlemen and ladies,
> I just did a jhbuild and I have to tell you, it smacks of Unity.   Fav's on
> the left side, click on Applications and it dumps them on the screen similar
> to Unity.
> You cannot one-click to any Place, e.g. Home folder, Network, Desktop,
> Connect to, any of you locations.

The easiest way to get to a place is to type it in the search ("Home
Folder") and yes, we know it's suboptimal.

What is supposed to happen in the interim before the Finding and
Reminding UIs get implemented is pin "File Manager" to the dash by
default, but this depends on a newer version of nautilus, which isn't
in the gnome-shell jhbuild moduleset, so it unfortunately doesn't
happen on most current distributions.

> In fact I found no way to do it within a trivial amount of time.
> I thought that gnome-shell would be an improvement, you know, cool graphics,
> slide-out options, etc.
> In fact in either the old Gnome shell or the newer one, not all your
> applications show.

That sounds like a bug. What applications aren't showing?

> Sure, you can go to the Control Center, but even there, not all are
> available.

Not all what are available? gnome 3 and the new control center are
still under heavy
development.

> I thought you guys were on the right track with the previous Gnome shell,
> but then you deviated.
> From a regular user view, at least in my opinion and I am more of a tweaker,
> this new interface is lacking.

If you have other things that are bothering you, please tell us!